GSF 2.0: Indonesia condemns Israeli interception, two citizens confirmed on board

18 May 2026, 3:04 PM
GSF 2.0: Indonesia condemns Israeli interception, two citizens confirmed on board
GSF 2.0: Indonesia condemns Israeli interception, two citizens confirmed on board

JAKARTA, May 18 — Indonesia has strongly condemned Israel’s interception of several vessels involved in the international humanitarian mission Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 in waters near Cyprus in the eastern Mediterranean, with an Indonesian journalist reported to be among the participants.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Yvonne Mewengkang said journalist Bambang Noroyono from Republika Online was on board one of the vessels, which authorities are still attempting to contact to determine its status and the condition of those on board.

She also confirmed that an Indonesian citizen, identified as Andi Angga Prasadewa, a delegate from Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI)-Rumah Zakat, was on board the vessel Josef, which was among at least 10 ships reportedly detained.

The intercepted vessels included Amanda, Barbaros, Josef, and Blue Toys, according to information received from GPCI.

“The situation on the ground remains highly dynamic, and further developments still need to be anticipated,” Yvonne said in a statement today.

Earlier in the afternoon, Republika Online posted an ‘SOS’ video message from Bambang on its social media accounts, in line with protocol for participants in the GSF mission in the event they were detained by Israeli forces.

She added that Jakarta has urged Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members involved in the humanitarian mission and to ensure the continuation of humanitarian aid distribution to the Palestinian people in accordance with international humanitarian law.

“The Foreign Ministry, through its Directorate for the Protection of Indonesian Citizens, has coordinated with the Indonesian embassies in Ankara, Cairo, and Amman to prepare anticipatory measures aimed at ensuring their safety and expediting the repatriation process,” Yvonne said.

Communication with relevant parties are ongoing to obtain the latest information on the condition of the Indonesians, as the government prepares contingency measures, including protection assistance and accelerated repatriation if required.

What do you think?

Latest
MidRec
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.