KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — The Bukit Aman Internal Security and Public Order Department (JKDNKA) has busted a RM12.4 million meat smuggling and distribution syndicate in a raid under Op Taring Chiller in Kajang last week.
Its director Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said that during the raids on Thursday (May 14) and Friday (May 15), five men, including four Myanmar nationals aged between 21 and 43, were arrested at a premises in Kajang.
The operation was carried out by the Bukit Aman JKDNKA's Wildlife Crime Bureau/Special Intelligence Investigation (WCB/PSK), in collaboration with the Veterinary Services Department, the Selangor Islamic Religious Department, and the Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj).
“During the raid, the police seized 4,840 cartons of pork carcasses, 410 cartons of chicken wings, and 115 cartons of duck meat believed to have been imported from China, Brazil, and Argentina.
“The total quantity seized is estimated at 167,143.73kg, bringing the total value of the seizure to RM12.4 million,” he said during a media conference today.
Yusri added that their initial investigations found that the syndicate was operating under the guise of a frozen food business while smuggling unrecognised imported products and mixing halal products with non-halal items.
The syndicate, which has been operating for the past four years, used false declarations to bring in the meat before repackaging it for sale in the local market at lower prices.
“The police believe the activities are orchestrated by a syndicate with a specific network, and further investigations are ongoing to identify the masterminds, financiers, as well as any other individuals directly or indirectly involved in these activities,” he said.
The case is being investigated under the Immigration Act 1959/63 for employing foreign workers without valid permits, as well as under Paragraph 5(2) of the Trade Descriptions (Certification and Marking of Halal) Order 2011, and Paragraph 3(1)(g) of the Trade Descriptions (Definition of Halal) Order 2011.
It is also being investigated under Section 3 of MPKj's Licensing of Trades, Businesses, and Industries By-Laws.
In a separate development, Yusri said that from January 1 to May 15, the WCB/PSK carried out eight raids under Op Taring Chiller, resulting in 52 arrests and seizures valued at RM15.1 million.
“Overall, during the same period, JKDNKA recorded 88 cases involving 153 arrests, with total seizures amounting to RM157.3 million,” he said.








